Learn one Chinese Character a day - "比" (学习)
When we went through the meaning of "从", we have seen the Oracle script writing of "比".
Below is the evolution history of "比": (image get from http://www.vividict.com)
as you can see that "比" in Oracle script is , which is opposite to "从" in Oracle script . is also composed of two persons one behind another one. however since it is opposite to the way of writing for , it then contains the meaning which opposites follow or fellowship as well, it is to represent the meaning that behind the other wants to Compare with each other.
It also demonstrates the philosophy of Chinese ancestors when they create this character that only people, who have similar social status among themselves, want to compare with each other. Nobody of us will compare with Bill Gates for wealth in money and get envied for that, right? we normally compare against our friends, colleagues, neighbourhoods and classmates.
when this character evolved to Official script , has been changed to , which is the way we are writing now.
So "比" means Compare.
"比" can also mean Comparable.
To end today's learning, let us enjoy a Chinese calligraphy with "比" inside:
Our next lesson will continue with character with related to "人", which is “北”, its Oracle writing is . Guess its meaning?
- Learn one Chinese Character a day - "比" - sandodo(sandodo), 2015-11-03 22:48 (#32031) (学习)
- 牛！ - 枫叶_66(枫叶), 2015-11-03 23:11 (#32041)
- 这如果是你自己整的，你可够牛的 - lamba(linq), 2015-11-04 09:27 (#32065)
- 看来我们古人对人与人的关系很有研究. . . - lisin(千江有水千江月), 2015-11-04 09:30 (#32067)
- 好！太有意思了。 - dandelion1(蒲公英哥), 2015-11-04 11:50 (#32098)
- good,thanks! - 风动心动了无痕(skyhigh), 2015-11-04 13:51 (#32117)